Thursday, April 18, 2013

Joaquin Chen

By J.P. Doolittle

A couple of weeks ago, when we were in the San Blas Islands, Mickey and I had to visit the doctor.
The view of the island from the boat was amazing. It was a clutter of dirt roads with no cars, and bark huts as big as about two cars (tiny, tiny). We called one of the pangas over to our boat and asked him for directions to the doctor. He agreed to help us and we went into land.

I was at a level of shock I can't put into words. It was so different from what I normally see.  We were probably on the main street because it was the longest and most crowded. The insides of the huts were very colorful with Molas hanging all over the walls.  A mola is a type of cloth design that Kunas wear and it is extremely colorful.

Once we arrived at the doctor, we had a long wait.  Finally we were called into the doctor's office. Our doctor was Joaquin Chen.  He went to many places and spoke many languages.  He checked out our lungs, then gave us a certificate for the medicine counter.  We got the medicine and then went to get something to eat.

I realized there weren't as many men as women. I knew it would be hard for me to live there, because I have lived with air conditioning, multiple stories in houses and those types of luxuries.  But I didn't have to worry about that, I was now safe and sound on my bed back at the boat.












No comments:

Post a Comment